Here’s a quick way to ground and prepare for dance
Do you ever feel totally overwhelmed and disconnected from your body? In a recent dance class, after rushing around all day, I collapsed on the floor and started crying as I realized I hadn’t been connected to my body all day.
Have you ever felt disconnected from your body?
Here’s a quick and easy way to stay grounded and connected to your body. The exercise comes from Bo Eason, the pro football player turned public speaking coach. It’s an exercise that involves only your bare feet and a smooth rock. It’s also a great way to prepare for dance.
- Take off your shoes and put a smooth stone on the floor. Place one foot on that stone.
- Lean into the rock and feel its sensation. There may be some discomfort on the sole of your foot. That’s the spot you’re trying to find. Breathe deeply.
- After a moment, take your foot off and place it on the floor. Really feel the ground beneath your foot and let the foot open up.
- Go deep, feeling your roots growing deep within the earth. Feel the security of your foot on the ground.
- Repeat with the other foot.
I remember growing up on a farm in Northeastern Ohio. We had a semi circle driveway, with sharp white rocks. During the summer, my older brother Kevin and I would race one another down the driveway in our bare feet. At first, the rocks pinched and hurt. After a little bit, though, we hardly felt them.
Try it out and let me know in the comments section below how it was for you, and please share with someone who could use a little grounding.